Since 1911, Royal Copenhagen’s Flagship Store has been located at Amagertorv 6 – one of Copenhagen’s oldest and most beautiful Renaissance buildings.
It was built in 1616 for Matthias Hansen, a member of the city council who was Mayor of Copenhagen from 1622 until his death in 1628. He is also thought to have been the father of Kirsten Madsdatter, one of Christian IV’s mistresses.
It is one of the few buildings in the old medieval city to have survived not only the British fleet’s bombardment of Copenhagen under Lord Nelson’s command in 1807 but also the great fires that ravaged Copenhagen in 1728 and 1795.
Formerly the Royal Porcelain Factory, Royal Copenhagen originally based its production on Købmagergade in 1775, just a few hundred metres from Amagertorv. In 1884 production moved to Frederiksberg while the business was relocated to Amagertorv 10. A little later, in 1911, the business moved to its current home, Amagertorv 6.